Tour Guide: Chase a Tornado

Tornado.jpgPicture it: you’re a passenger sitting comfortably in an SUV as it drives merrily along in the nation’s Tornado Alley–in peak season–because you and fellow passengers are closing in on a storm. Several tornado chasing tours have set people on such a path for years.

Consider booking with Storm Chasing Adventure Tours, and for $2,600, you could be chasing storms for a week with accommodations included. Cloud 9 Tours are currently taking names down for two-week chases in 2011 for as low as $2,800, and there may be a few spots left for 2010. Book a six-day tour with Silver Lining Tours for $2,400 or a ten-day tour for around $3,000. Each package includes a keepsake DVD. Whether your DVD will contain a turbulent, Twister-esque cow, is yet to be determined. [Jaunted

Photo: Jaunted

Comments

1. Robert Edmonds
    October 14, 2010, 2:43 am

As a guide for storm chasing tours through http://www.stormchaseguide.com I get to show people the awe of mother nature. In regards to Stephanie’s comment, guides often help to provide ‘ground truth’ and hopefully enable better warnings. I simply hope I can continue showing others the amazing weather on the Great Plains, last year all of my guests came away with multiple tornadoes.

2. Mark Lingl
    September 18, 2010, 9:13 am

Hi! My name is Mark Lingl and I own a Tornado Chasing Tour Company called Weather Gods Inc. The first tornado I caught was back in 1988 while I was studying meteorology at Northern Illinois University. Chasing tornadoes can be dangerous for someone who is inexperienced. Being a veteran Tornado chaser with 23 years of experience, I can tell you that tornado chasing can be done safely. I have taken customers from all over the world and successfully seen tornadoes/funnels while keeping them safe.
    Thanks
    Mark

3. DenFletcher
    May 19, 2010, 12:50 pm

I can’t believe that some people actually chase down tornadoes just for leisure. They can be very dangerous and can change direction suddenly towards it’s chasers. This is a mad thing to do.

4. Stephanie B.
    April 2, 2010, 8:07 pm

This completely irritates the begeezus out of me, having seen entire towns flattened in Wisconsin. Theresa your comment is especially striking. There is a reason we have tornado sirens and go to the basement in the midwest. When did this get sexy??? Was it that ridiculously stupid movie?

5. Emma
    April 2, 2010, 5:42 pm

Growing up in Missouri/Illinois was enough for me. I wonder what happens if there are no storms the week you go.

6. Theresa
    April 2, 2010, 1:22 pm

Not for me. I can’t believe anyone would want to be put in a dangerous situation! Tornadoes are unpredictable! My brother was killed in a tornado when he was 12 years old. When I hear tornado sirens, which are rare now since I live in CA, I go directly to the basement!