Notice anything wrong with this picture?

Gulpiyuri.jpgThis beach has white sand, seaweed, bathers, tiny waves, rocky cliffs, and is subject to tides, but it’s not on the ocean.

Located near the town of Llanes in Asturias in northern Spain, the odd little beach of Gulpiyuri stands by itself in a depression in the middle of an agricultural field. Declared a Spanish Natural Heritage site, the beach and lagoon are actually a karst sinkhole, created when the nearby Cantabrian Sea dug through the limestone cliffs, making underground tunnels for the sea to come through, and collapsing the roof of a limestone cave. At high tide, the sinkhole fills with ocean water.

Want more Spanish wonders?  Check out our Spain Travel Guide and photo gallery.

Photo: Oviedo for 91 Days blog, via Neatorama

Comments

1. Malcom Reynolds
    October 27, 2010, 1:59 pm

That is beautiful and amazing. I half expected ti to say something like “Do you see anything wrong with this picture? Seaweed…etc…It was photo shopped!” That is really cool. I would love to go there and see it for myself. it looks breathtaking.

2. firewall configuration analyzer
    October 29, 2010, 3:38 am

Between the seaside towns of Llanes and Ribadesella, the land ends abruptly in dark cliffs that plunge into the sea. A series of sandy coves are tucked into this rocky coastline

3. John
    October 30, 2010, 10:16 am

Beautiful picture, I really like!

4. Stewart Rails
    October 30, 2010, 12:59 pm

Great image, well shot.

5. shapewear
    November 1, 2010, 11:42 am

Ohh my, something like this could possibly exist? Its like an instant beach in the middle of I dont know where. Wonderful, simply magnificent.

6. usa property for sale
    November 1, 2010, 11:35 pm

This is a place worth visiting for visitors who want to have a private island to visit and have fun in there.

7. Marine conservation
    November 2, 2010, 10:44 am

Sinkholes are so interesting, a while back I was in Mexico where a huge sink hole appeared in the middle of the city centre. I couldnt beleive that something could eat up an entire building. Apperently the locals have some strage beleifs about them being portals to another world.

8. Juicy Couture Handbags
    November 3, 2010, 3:45 am

I am a modern girl who firmly follows the fashion trend.