Squirrels Around the World

If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you probably know that our Senior Researcher and Twitter guru Marilyn Terrell (@Marilyn_Res) had a hand in making this little fellow (below) go viral about a year ago. (The backstory: Marilyn noticed the cuteness of the now famous Banff Squirrel photo and blogged about it here. It was picked up by news outlets around the world, got its own internet meme, and is now a celebrated mascot in Banff with its own Twitter feed.)

Photo: Banff SquirrelWell as it happens, I was talking with a few of my colleagues yesterday about how squirrels seem to evoke undue interest in people. A photo of a squirrel in India was one of the most retweeted posts from the @NatGeoSociety Twitter feed last week. And hordes of tourists are often seen taking photos of squirrels in the D.C. area because the city has a preponderance of black squirrels. Why? Eighteen black squirrels from Canada were released at the National Zoo back in 1902, when Theodore Roosevelt was president, in an effort to repopulate the breed. They’re now found throughout the District, and the subject of fascination by locals and visitors alike. (And I’ll add to the mix my own personal fascination: I’ve never seen a baby squirrel. Though I know they exist, I’ve yet to see one in the wild.)

So imagine my surprise to learn that today of all days is Squirrel Appreciation Day. To celebrate, I’ve assembled this lovely collection of squirrels from around the world from the thousands that have been submitted to our My Shot online photo site. Have a great squirrel pic to add to the mix? Submit it to MyShot and leave a link to it in the comments.

Photo: Polish Red Squirrel

“Red squirrel in the snow. Winter 2010 in Poland was long and really severe.” Photograph by Dorota Walczak, My Shot.

Thumbnail image for Photo: India Malabar Giant Squirrel

“A shot of the Malabar giant squirrel taken in Mudumalai forest in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Known to be very elusive, the Malabar giant squirrel is endemic to peninsular India and is on the IUCN list of threatened species.” Photograph by Shireen Ali, My Shot

Photo: Second Banff Squirrel

[Ed. A cousin to the celebrity squirrel, this is another one found at Banff.] “This ground squirrel looked at me out of his nest. Picture taken in Banff National Park, Canada.” Photograph by Jacky Weiland, My Shot

Paris Squirrel.jpg“A squirrel begs for nuts in Parc Floral in Paris.” Photograph by Iris Ring, My Shot

Photo: Squirrel Delhi
“Squirrel photo taken outside of a Metro Station in Delhi.” Photograph by Harshit Vishwakarma, My Shot

Tanzania Squirrel.png“A squirrel eating a piece of fruit at Mayanar National Park in Tanzania.” Photograph by Sajjad Fasal, My Shot

Canary Islands Squirrel.png“Ground squirrel picture taken in Fuerteventura (Canary Islands).Photograph by Timo Mosler, My Shot.

Photo: Singapore Squirrel“This squirrel was found in the quiet calm of Fort Canning Hill, which in turn is surrounded by the hustle and bustle of Singapore‘s urban jungle.” Photograph by Theo De Roza, My Shot.

Helsinki, Finland Squirrel.jpg
“I took this photo of my little neighbor in Helsinki, Finland.” Photograph by Hakan Deniz, My Shot

Photo: Squirrel Venice California“Bonding with the wildlife in Venice California.” Photograph by Jeremie Schatz, My Shot

Comments

1. Michelle
    January 21, 2011, 11:38 pm

Those squirrels are too cute!!!

2. Baby Bats in Blankets
    January 22, 2011, 2:57 am

10 Adorable Pictures of Baby Bats in Blankets | WTFHub http://bit.ly/g8TM5L

3. Mr Oz
    January 22, 2011, 4:11 am

They are adorable. We have so many animals in Australia, but nothing quite like a squirrel!

4. Mensa Squirrel
    January 22, 2011, 11:41 am

Why isn’t Squirrel Appreciation Day a national holiday — in every nation in the world? People should have the day off from work so they can really go out and appreciate the squirrels!

5. Liudmila
    January 22, 2011, 1:50 pm

So many species of squirrels all over the world! I thought, they live only in Northern parts!
    It’s really very strange that we, humans, are so much fascinated by little animals. We spoke about it this morning with my friends and now I find the same question here, in your post. We did not find the answer this morning. Maybe animals have more “pure” relations? Or have this infinite trust? Or know live TODAY and accept this life so as it presents?

6. Herta Rodina
    January 22, 2011, 5:15 pm

Wonderful shots! They inspired me to open a My Shot page. It’s a day late, but here’s my contribution — a red squirrel, 3 black squirrels, and a very friendly chipmunk:

7. david96145
    January 23, 2011, 7:45 pm

As a 3-year old tourist in the Grand Canyon area, I have had my picture with a chipmunk who was particularly fond of me. These pictures remind me so much of that day and being so close to such cute tiny animals.
    Thank you for sharing! I particularly love the one with the immaculate white-hair on its chest.

8. Jack Starlin
    January 24, 2011, 12:52 am

Wow, those are amazing shots!

9. nexus
    January 25, 2011, 3:01 pm

truly breathtaking pictures!
    There’s also a guide to Squirrel Appreciation Day activities at eHow — here’s a teaser for that:
    1. Check local television listings for documentaries about squirrels. The National Geographic Channel and Animal Planet are likely to have a special presentation.
    2. Look out your window. Squirrels are everywhere. What can you learn about squirrels just by watching them in your own backyard?
    3. Read a book about squirrels and their natural habitat. NexusS met Google android
    4. Research squirrels online. You’ll find several sites dedicated just to our furry friends. Did you know, for instance, that there are 365 species of squirrels?

10. Buenos Aires Tours
    January 27, 2011, 4:24 pm

Interesting!

11. Arthur Dent
    February 5, 2011, 3:58 pm

Squirrels are proof that evolution isn’t just about having big teeth, sharp claws or large neocortexes. There’s more to nature’s diversity than can be grasped thinking or it as an evolution from past to future. There’s diversity in every corner of our earth, even perhaps our galaxy, and it’s amazing!

12. MeOptimus!
    February 17, 2011, 8:44 am

I think squirrels actually come from some other place in space… they’re just here to conduct experiments :)
    Cheers,
    Me Optimus

13. Mallorca
    Mallorca
    April 19, 2012, 6:01 am

It’s so amazing how you can find so many differences between squirrels from one place on earth to another. It’s just like with humans!!

14. Jimmy
    February 9, 8:29 am

Every shot is great. I found wonder that You took all shots in perfect angle.Admirable Effort.!!

Jimmy