Where Do You Go to Feel Better?

National Geographic Traveler‘s October issue hit newsstands last week, and features a narrative of Peter McBride’s journey to Rishikesh, India — a place the author describes as a “shopping mall for spirituality straddling the Ganges.”

Though McBride went to the “world capital of yoga” to heal an ailing back, he left with a new  appreciation for the mind-body connection with a little help from a Royal Enfield motorcycle and a “symbolic charioteer.” (Read the full story here to find out what I mean.)

He can also now touch his toes.

Where have you traveled to feel better — mind or body? Send your stories and photos to Travel_talk@ngs.org or tell us about it in the comments section below, and your response just might make it into an upcoming issue of Traveler magazine.

Comments

1. Caroline Be
    Jupiter, Florida
    September 6, 2012, 4:41 pm

I liked reading Nathalie’s post. I grew up in Australia, at the northern beaches of Sydney, and the last time I visited I realized that everything I like about a place anywhere in the world always has to do with my love of Australia. I love grassy fields filled with wildflowers on headlands over the ocean- whenever I see a similar scene in California or Europe, my heart just leaps. And I love bakeries- there are so many in Australia- and that is why I love France too. I was so lucky to grow up in a house above this beach:

2. Amirapu Sreenivasa Rao
    Bangalore
    September 6, 2012, 3:25 am

2 wonderful issues……

Reading these travelogues is pure bliss……i can imagine myself in all these places….what a way to let oneself go.

By your first anniversary……..i might quit my job and join you guys on various adventures, fun filled trips.

This what i call………LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST.

Many thanks for these wonderful moments.

3. Heather
    Indiana, USA
    September 5, 2012, 10:25 pm

I feel a tugging at my soul to return time and time again to the Silver Bank, Dominican Republic. It is there, surrounded by calm seas and humpback whales that I am able to recharge my mind, body and soul. My twin sister and I went on this “once in a lifetime” trip in 2001, and have been back twice since! Our 4th is planned for March 2014 with our favorite naturalist Tom Conlin (Aquatic Adventures). There really is nothing quite like floating in the water while staring into the eye of a humpback whale to remind you of life’s mysteries and beauty!

4. Anelda NOVITASARI
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    September 5, 2012, 9:32 pm

Travel around to see another part of the earth, taste different culture and the people always excite me. I have been to Switzerland,hong kong, china, Thailand and India. Want to see more and I am trying hard to fulfill my dream. I feel better in India …. I have a strong emotional connection with the places I have visited. I want to be in rishikesh to spend my old days peacefully.

5. Saif
    UAE
    September 5, 2012, 7:45 pm

Somewhere where i can scuba dive and be connected to the wild life, prefer a place where i can see new creaturs <3

*mind my spelling*

6. Anna Powell
    Costa Rica
    September 5, 2012, 7:07 pm

Mind, body, and soul – Costa Rica is the place where I leave feeling 100% purified and reinvigorated. With a natural cornucopia of fruits and vegetation, hot springs, fauna, beaches, and a genuinely happy population, Costa Rica is easy on the budget and miraculous on the adventurer.

7. Nathalie Wilborts
    The Netherlands
    September 5, 2012, 1:30 pm

I love to travel! I have always said that I would travel as much as my bank account would let me. I am 26 and I haven’t been to as many places I want to be, but I have found my home: Australia! I have been there now twice and I have such a strong connection to the country. I feel so much at home there. It’s like I belong there. Compare it to Harry Potter: when the person has the right wand in his/her hand, sparks fly out of it. That is how I felt the firs time I went to Australia. It is my goal in life to live there permanently. It is where I go to feel better, to feel at ease.

8. Sarra
    Tunisia
    September 5, 2012, 6:32 am

Travelling is a passion for me I’ve been, in Cannes, Paris, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, china,… an wanna see more … i lobe beaches and swimming and this is my Top 10 favorite beaches in the world hope you like my top 10 destinations