There are some amazing events on tap all over the world, all the time. Here’s a taste of what you can see and do in February:
- Celebrate Carnival samba-style (February 13-18) in Rio de Janeiro. This iconic kickoff to Lent lures millions of visitors to Brazil each year with five days of lively musical competitions, elaborate parades, and unscripted street festivals.
- When Super Bowl madness subsides, turn your attention to another sporting event for the ages—the 2015 Cricket World Cup (February 12-March 29). Held every four years, the latest battle royale will be hosted by Australia and New Zealand. Can’t make it to a match? Try your hand at the ICC’s newly launched Fantasy League and enjoy the competition from afar.
- Get into the groove during Reggae Month (February 1-28) in Kingston, Jamaica. In addition to the usual lineup of mento, ska, rocksteady, dub, and dancehall concerts and seminars, a 70th birthday celebration will be held for the biggest reggae legend of all time—Bob Marley.
- Get a sneak peek at spring at the 20th annual Panagbenga Festival (February 1-March 8) in Baguio City, Philippines. In addition to providing a stunning showcase for the city’s famous flowers, the month-long extravaganza also symbolizes another “season of blooming”—the city’s recovery from the 1990 Luzon earthquake.
- Ring in the Year of the Sheep in Hong Kong at the Chinese New Year Festival (February 19-21). Overflowing flower markets, a parade of floats, and a stunning fireworks display over Victoria Harbor make this the city’s biggest and most colorful event.
What would you add to the list? Let us know what we’re missing by leaving a comment below.