Your Shot Photo of the Month: Light-Trail Norway

Photographing landscapes well is harder than one might think.

“Even the most scenic sites need a discerning eye to make a picture special,” says Traveler‘s director of photography, Dan Westergren. “The default is to shoot images that include everything—except a personal point of view.”

German photo enthusiast Christoph Schaarschmidt solved this by waiting patiently to get his shot. “It was my dream to take a photo of light trails,” he says. “When I found this perfect vantage point on the Trollstigen Mountain Road in Norway, fog obscured the scene.”

The Nat Geo Your Shot community member lingered, poised to shoot—until 1 a.m., when the mist cleared. “Luckily, a car was driving up the steep switchbacks, creating my light trail. I clicked away. Within minutes the fog had returned.”

A great photo, notes Westergren, “captures a feeling that goes deeper than a literal visual record. In this case, the moody weather made all the difference.”

> Share your best photography with the world: Join National Geographic’s online photo community, Your Shot.

Comments

1. Stein Bækkelund
    Norway
    July 21, 2015, 11:45 am

Why not stopping by one of these road curves and watch basejumpers!

2. Patrick Hareide
    Norway
    February 22, 2015, 3:17 pm

First thing first, Trollstigen is not in Geirangerfjorden. it winds up in Åndalsnes and Valldall

3. Mike Burgess
    Essex, England
    February 21, 2015, 2:08 am

A beautiful shot, all the better for understanding the patience that must have gone into it. I just tried Light Trail photography (myself on my bicycle) for a competition run by my local Photographic Club… great to see the ‘art of the possible’ with yours. I wonder how you achieved it – one long exposure or multiples merged?

4. Outdoor Jane
    February 10, 2015, 6:24 am

What an incredible shot! I’ve driven the Trollstigen many times, knowing almost every curve by heart now. Please do proceed with the photography!

5. jazz car
    Maroc
    February 10, 2015, 6:24 am

very nice
    thanks for sharing

6. Sandra Surratt
    Florida, USA
    February 9, 2015, 11:45 pm

I’m glad you had the patience and endurance to wait for the right shot. The fog is just perfect. I would hate to have been the brave men who built that road, but it sure looks beautiful to drive. Thank you.

7. Burcu Basar
    Istanbul - Turkey
    February 8, 2015, 6:21 am

Very good shot and impossible to not appreciate the effort put into it. I would also like to thank NatGeo for the the your shot initiate, it truly means a lot to amateur photographers like myself. (www.burcubasar.com)