Street Food Photo Gallery

I can’t really tell right now if I’m hungry because it’s close to lunchtime, or because I’ve been staring at this amazing gallery of street food over at NationalGeographic.com’s new travel website. All I know is that I need to eat, and soon. And preferably from a cart of some kind. Here are a few of my favorites from the gallery. What’s your favorite kind of street food?

Taiwan Street MarketPhotograph by Neil Wade, My Shot

Chilung’s Miaokou Night Market has an old temple at its center, but the main focus here is feasting. The market’s yellow lanterns illuminate a mouthwatering array of traditional Taiwanese snack foods, including savory noodle soups, oyster omelets, snails, sticky rice, and tripe.

Taiwanese and tourists alike say no visit is complete without a fruity “bubble ice” dessert–black plum is a local favorite.

Moroccan Mint Tea

Phototograph by Cezary Wojtkowski, My Shot

Glasses filled to the rim with mint, and a healthy helping of sugar, stand ready for the preparation of Morocco’s distinctive green tea. The beverage refreshes the spirit on a hot day in Marrakech, but it’s far more than a thirst quencher. The tea’s preparation and enjoyment are an essential part of the Moroccan culture and a “must-try” experience for any visitor.Photograph by Boaz Meiri, My Shot

Grasshoppers on Sticks

Photograph by Boaz Meiri, My Shot

Chinese street foods, like this “bouquet” of skewered grasshoppers, often raise Western eyebrows. But insect eating isn’t as unusual as you might imagine. The UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that more than 1,400 protein-rich insect species are regularly enjoyed by humans around the world.

[Street Food Photo Gallery]

Comments

1. Kelvin Jennings
    February 13, 2011, 5:21 am

Wow I had no idea such variation in foods existed around the world. great photos, goes to show that you must travel the world in order to learn what is out there. Also see Directory

2. Air Jordan Sale
    July 22, 2010, 2:34 am

That’s something to be proud of That’s a life you can hang your hat on That’s a chin held high as the tears fall down A gut sucked in, a chest stuck out Like a small
    town flag a-flyin’ Or a newborn baby cryin’ In the arms of the woman that you love That’s something to be proud of That’s something to be proud of That’s a life you can
    hang your hat on You don’t need to make a million Just be thankful to be workin’ If you’re doing what you’re able And putting food there on the table And providing for
    the family that you love That’s something to be proud of”{Something to be proud of} Imagine me and you I do I think about you day and night It’s only right To think
    about the girl you love And hold her tight So happy together

3. Brittney
    July 11, 2010, 11:43 am

You would have to cover the grasshoppers in chocolate for me to try then. They might be good, but I could not imagine eating plane grasshoppers. I am on the same page as mark as I’m a huge crepe fan and love the nutella crepes.Egg Poacher

4. Mark
    May 20, 2010, 8:47 am

My favourite street food is French crepes. Though round where I am we don’t often see street food it’s more of a novelty when we do and that’s usually away from my hometown.

5. skin care_772
    February 13, 2010, 3:27 am

That’s pretty informative post.Some great information to be absorbed in this post. Thanks for sharing.Keep posting.

6. David
    February 12, 2010, 5:30 pm

Awful!! I can’t believe.Are they human beings who eat such foods?Egg Cookers

7. north cyprus hotels
    February 8, 2010, 6:03 pm

looks nice and appetizing… people actually eat grasshoppers???