Discover the natural wonder of Canada’s national parks with a new guide.

Did you know that Canada was the first country in the world to establish a dedicated national park service, in 1911? Today, Parks Canada encompasses 42 national parks (including 9 UNESCO World Heritage sites), 167 national historic sites, and 4 marine conservation areas.

“Canadians proudly offer travelers one of the world’s greatest opportunities to connect to the grandeur and the intimacy of nature and to experience unforgettable moments of personal discovery,” writes Alan Latourtelle, CEO Parks Canada in his introduction to National Geographic’s Guide to the National Parks of Canada on sale today.

The new guide from National Geographic is the official guide for Parks Canada. The book gives an overview of Canada’s 42 parks and each section provides useful service information on “How to Get There,” “When to Go,” and “How to Visit.” Plus you’ll find lists of hotels, campsites, and tour operators to help you plan your trip.

Win a free copy of the book! We’re giving away a copy of the guide to one lucky commenter who tells us about their favorite Canadian park or describes a memorable Parks Canada experience.

Leave us a comment by 11:59 p.m. EST tonight (July 5) to be eligible. Plus, stay tuned to Intelligent Travel all this week for more opportunities to win.

Photo: Michael Batty/My Shot

Comments

1. Bernie Noonan
    USA
    January 6, 6:31 pm

Cape Breton is beautiful in the fall. And festivals abound in the coastal villages. A great place to go to a Scottish ceili.

2. Rolly Benigno
    Trinidad and Tobago
    July 7, 2011, 1:31 pm

I would definitely choose Banff National Park being the premier national park in Canada which was established in 1885 and at the same time, the world’s third spanning 6,641 square kilometres (2,564 square miles) of undiscovered valleys, majestic mountains, hanging glaciers, virginal forests, idyllic meadows and rivers, it is truly one of the world’s destination spots not to mention being a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Kudos to National Geographic for this must-have guide for travelers intending to visit all the 42 National Parks spanning the whole of Canada! More power and God bless!

3. Boomergirl
    Toronto
    July 6, 2011, 10:22 pm

Banff National Park, Canada’s first national park. Snowshoeing trails on a major migratory route and we saw all kinds of animal tracks. The park is home to one of the quirkiest museums in Canada. The Banff Park Museum is an extraordinary log building filled with stuffed animals, all specimens from the park dating back to the late 19th c when this was how natural history was interpreted. http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ab/banff/index.aspx
    An amazing collection that actually first exhibited at the Chicago World Fair in 1893.

4. Mark L
    ON, CA
    July 6, 2011, 5:50 pm

As a student I frequented what is now the Bruce Peninsula National Park. I spent many weeks over the years exploring the top end of the Niagara escarpment and loving every minute.

5. Dave Olson
    North Vancouver
    July 6, 2011, 12:58 pm

I took a train trip with my new (at the time) ladyfriend from Florida. I figured if we were gonna get serious, she’d better get to know Canada. So we travelled from Vancouver to Prince George and then onto Jasper. In Jasper we had the best time exploring the forests as well as the village and falling (cue tender music) in love. We then rented a car and drove the splendid road to Banff where we wandered the woods and soaked in hot springs along with checking out Lake Louise.

From that trip on, we’ve been together and often talk of the night in Jasper as the place where “it all happened.”

Parks + Trains = Love

6. Sandra C
    Canada
    July 5, 2011, 11:06 pm

My most memorable experience was in Banff – forest fires in the park caused the glacier waters to taste smokey!

7. Jang Ting
    Singapore
    July 5, 2011, 10:36 pm

Timely! This will be a great guide for planning my trip to the Canadian Rockies in this quarter!

8. Kenny Walters
    July 5, 2011, 10:11 pm

I personally love Yoho for it’s killer scenery and trails. You can barely keep your eyes on the trail in front of you!

9. Vickie Darmer
    Belleville, Il, USA
    July 5, 2011, 8:58 pm

Never been to Canada, looks beautiful, on my Bucket list!

10. Kerry Dexter
    July 5, 2011, 5:52 pm

Banff in the deep winter quiet is one of my favorites, Cape Breton Highlands in full autumn color, too.

11. dying1980
    NYC
    July 5, 2011, 4:38 pm

My most memorable experience is hiking to Crypt Lake in Waterton Lake National Park.

12. Filippo Macchi
    Italy
    July 5, 2011, 2:53 pm

We were there last summer and it was unforgettable!! The first experience with bears was amazing, a little cob crossed the street when we return back from Maligne lake, near Jasper, one of the most amazing place on earth!!! We left our heart there!
    We also strongly recommend to drive along the Icefield Parkwey, from Banff to Jasper, to enjoy the spectacular view that those mountains offer. We love mountain, you know the italian dolomities are the best, but Banff and Jasper and Yoho National Parks really fill your heart with pure joy.
    I wonder why we are still living in Italy.
    Enjoy your trip…

13. Janet
    New Jersey, USA
    July 5, 2011, 2:14 pm

My favorite memory of our honeymoon trip to the Canadian Rockies in 2009 was Lake O’Hara, easily one of the most beautiful and scenic spots I’ve ever visited. The limited access and solitude of the area make it unique and special. I think it inspires a reverence for nature in all who are lucky enough to visit.

14. Searlait Doyle
    Ireland
    July 5, 2011, 1:48 pm

Had the pleasure of travelling around the National Parks of Western Canada a few years ago… All parks were equally amazing and breathtaking and still to this day top my list of favourite place to visit. Their spectacular images will forever remain with me but it would be nice to have them all in a book too :o)

15. Ankit Mittal
    Edmonton Canada
    July 5, 2011, 1:43 pm

My trip to Jasper national park this year was undoubtedly the most fulfilling experience. Standing on frozen (it was still May20) Maligne lake in the midst of beautiful green fur background with absolutely clear blue sky and a small hut like information centre far off on the boarder of the lake, I dont think I will ever forget that experience with nature. To add to that the serene beauty of Pyramid lake provides a perfect destination for long quite moments with nature which is nothing less that meditation. It is one of the most beautiful place I have visited and the town has not become a concrete jungle either which adds to the charm of the whole jasper. Miette springs are another worth visiting hot water springs. One can easily spent hours hopping cold and hot water pools..

16. christine
    texas
    July 5, 2011, 1:36 pm

My absolute favorite Canadian park (and my favorite vacation memory) is Fundy National Park in New Brunswick. The low tides at Alma Beach are astonishing, I believe they have the greatest fluctuation in the world. You can walk out and see whats normally hidden under the water for what seems like an eternity. The entire park is absolutely beautiful and I recommend it to everyone.