Though it might not be quite time to hang up your winter coat for good, a bushel of books have sprouted to inspire a bout of warm-weather wanderlust.

There’s something here for fans of every genre: memoir, fiction, adventure, natural history, history, even poetry. But what binds each of these books together is a compelling tale and a great sense of place.

Check out our top picks for spring, then let us know what’s on your #TripLit list (or recommend a perennial favorite) by leaving a comment:

>>> What’s on your #TripLit list this spring? Tell us by leaving a comment below or by using the #TripLit hash tag on Twitter or Google+.

Comments

1. Molly Borchers
    San Diego, California
    May 9, 2013, 3:57 pm

Paris Reborn looks awesome. I’ll definitely add that to my list. This may be cliche, but my perennial favorite is Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Reading it always makes me want to visit Savannah.

Cheers,
    Molly

2. Jeff
    April 30, 2013, 11:47 pm

Don’t forget to check out “Passport to Safe Travel” (amazon.com & passporttosafetravel.com) before you go anywhere. BEST travel safety book! Safe Travels!

3. Kat
    Brisbane
    April 30, 2013, 7:02 pm

Great stuff! Any recommendations for South America? Particularly Colombia?

4. Peggy Coonley/Serendipity Traveler
    USA
    April 29, 2013, 4:43 pm

Great list! Travel books enrich in a different way. Whether actively traveling or in the armchair…. travel tales transform, enrich and inspire.

5. Leslie H.
    April 28, 2013, 11:07 am

I love reading books about other cultures and places I’ve never been! Fiction, non-fiction, a book about travel ultimately makes me want to go out and explore the world a bit more. In the meantime it’s always wonderful just to read about it. I read a fantastic book by author Layne Wong recently entitled, “Shanghai Love”(http://laynewong.com/). The book takes place during the rise of Hitler and WWII. The female heroine, Peilin, was betrothed to a man who was killed before their wedding but tradition and honor forced the marriage along anyways. She is sent to Shanghai to manage his family’s herbal shop. Shanghai is also Henri’s destination, a young Jewish man, as he has graduated from medical school as Hitler is rising to power. He flees to Shanghai where he’s befriended by Ping, Peilin’s brother. The two meet and a forbidden love story ensues. Layne Wong really did transport me to Shanghai and I felt immersed in their world and culture.

6. James Ford
    April 24, 2013, 12:34 am

Hi Amy,

Great article. I would love for you to post similar articles on our site http://www.skychattr.com. It’s a site for aviation professionals and travelers worldwide. Please join us soon!

7. Scott
    Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic
    April 23, 2013, 11:58 am

Wow, great photo!

My #triplit is usually whatever second hand “Lonely Planet” travel guide my local bookstore has on sale. Great inspiration for trips to places I might not have previously considered.