The Radar–the best of the travel blogosphere–is a regular feature on Intelligent Travel every Wednesday.
Here’s this week’s:
- If you’re having a hard time getting into the holiday spirit, think about riding the rails on a Christmas train. Visits from Santa Claus, steaming cups of hot cocoa, and just-baked cookies are just a few of the treats you’ll experience on these six holiday train jaunts. @PTVagabond
- The next time you take a trip to Hawaii, think about forgoing surfing and sunbathing in favor of another local activity: volunteerism. For one traveler, the chance to give back to the islands she loves–and protect them for future travelers–was an opportunity she just couldn’t pass up. @ottsworld
- ‘Tis the season to shred powder on the slopes, but for some, the cumulative costs of a ski vacation can be prohibitive. Find out how to keep the final price tag within a reasonable range this winter with these ten insider tips and tricks from a former ski bum. @theplanetd
- When you’re looking out at the wind-blown waters of New Zealand’s Lake Wanaka, the urge to kayak can wane. But with the proper motivation (an enthusiastic guide), exploring the country’s fourth largest lake by boat can be a transformative experience. Just ask Charli. @wildjunket
- If Slovenia is one of Europe’s hidden gems, Lake Bled is the “jewel” in the country’s “ecotourism crown.” Surrounded by the Julian Alps, this serene locale offers the perfect respite for travelers who have tired of urban chaos and long for some peace and quiet. @GreenGlobalTrvl