Cosmopolitan, edgy, playful: Oslo serves up Scandinavian cool with heartwarming enthusiasm.
Here are five ways to go local in the Norwegian capital:
- Amble the paths in and around Akershus Fortress to capture the feeling of medieval Oslo.
- Investigate Nordic noir on a Harry Hole Oslo tour—Hole is the protagonist in a detective series by Jo Nesbø—which includes a stop at Hole’s favorite eatery, Schrøder.
- Visit the bold Astrup Fearnley Museum of Modern Art, in Tjuvholmen; its edgy design is stunning both inside and out.
- Experience the thrill of ski jumping at a ski-jump simulator in Holmenkollen.
- Take the metro to Marka and join Oslovians in favorite local pastimes, cross-country skiing in winter and hiking in warmer months.
This piece was adapted from a feature story written by Anne-Sophie Redish that first appeared in National Geographic Traveller, our U.K. partner edition.